Scholarship Information - Instructions
It is with great pleasure that the National Association of Veterans Upward Bound announces its national scholarship competition. Veterans Upward Bound participants are invited to compete for a scholarship award for the 2016 - 2017 academic year. Winning students will be presented with a Certificate of Merit. Payment of the scholarship will be provided once proof of enrollment and attendance is received for the following fall semester. Checks will be made payable to the students.
The following information includes all materials necessary to apply for a scholarship. Each institution is encouraged to conduct an internal competition to determine the most worthy applicant. However, only the official NAVUB Scholarship Application and required supporting documentation may be submitted for the national competition.
- The applicant must be a present or former participant of the Veterans Upward Bound Project from which the nomination is being made and must be admitted to or currently enrolled in an institution of postsecondary education, seeking an undergraduate degree.
- The applicant must be nominated by a NAVUB staff person of a current member program (institutional dues paid by the required NAVUB membership date).
- The Director, if different from the nominator, will approve the nomination, attest to the nominee’s good standing, and certify that the project is an active member of NAVUB.
- Prior to receipt of the award, the VUB Director of the scholarship recipient will provide NAVUB with verification of the student’s actual enrollment in a postsecondary institution in the following fall.
- All required application materials and supporting documentation must be completed as directed and submitted by email by midnight, July 17th. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
- Projects may send only one nomination.
Each Nomination Packet will be reviewed and rated by members of the Scholarship Commission. The application will be scored on six categories: 1) Nomination Letter; 2) Recommendation Letter; 3) Financial Need; 4) Activities/Achievements (e.g., honors and awards, public service and community involvement, VUB activities); 5) Academics; 6) Student Essay; and 7) Applicant’s photo.
Each category will be rated on a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the highest. The results will be tabulated to determine the winners, and the names will be submitted to the Education Chair and the President of NAVUB, following verification of the winners’ eligibility to receive the award.
MATERIALS TO BE SUBMITTED:
To be considered, the Veterans Upward Bound Scholarship Application must include:
1. Page 1 (completed by Nominator and signed by Director)
2. Page 2 (completed by Student)
3. Nomination Letter (from VUB staff member) *
4. Letter of Recommendation (preferably from someone other than Nominator or Director) **
LETTERS MUST CONTAIN NOMINEE’S NAME AND WRITER’S CONTACT INFORMATION.
5. Student Essay
* The Nominator must write a letter in support of his/her student, indicating:
a) in what capacity you know the Nominee;
b) circumstances of his/her financial need;
c) his/her activities and achievements (community/public service, military and/or other honors/awards, VUB activities and awards);
d) educational progress and commitment to completion of PSE;
e) why student is deserving;
f) any other relevant information.
** Recommendation Letter should address the same items as the Nomination Letter.
The color photo of the Nominee should be suitable for publication in the NAVUB newsletter should the Nominee be a winner.
Prior to receipt of the award, the Director of the winner’s program will provide the NAVUB Treasurer with proof of the student’s attendance in a program of post-secondary education for the fall semester. The scholarship will not be awarded to the student until verification of attendance is received.
The student applying for the scholarship is responsible for completing the application, writing the essay, and securing a letter of recommendation from someone other than the Nominator. The student is to submit all documents to the Nominator who will submit the completed application to the Scholarship Committee.
The Director, if different from the Nominator, will verify his/her approval of the nomination, certify that the Nominee is in good standing, or has left the project in good standing, and that the project is an active member of NAVUB.
All materials must be submitted by email no later than midnight, July 17th to:
Michelle Smith, NAVUB Scholarship Chair
Veterans Upward Bound
18 S. Michigan, Suite 715GB
Chicago, IL 60603
Questions may be addressed to Michelle Smith, 312.462.7533 or firstname.lastname@example.org.